Pages

Sunday, April 20

An Easter Quiche

In the days leading up to today's holiday, I've been thinking about family traditions for Easter. Growing up, we didn't do the basket and bunny thing.  Yes, I know we dyed eggs during the week, maybe went shopping for a new dress and had a nice family dinner the day of, but we didn't have Easter Sunday morning egg hunts or baskets full of candy and toys.  And I was/am okay with that.

Now that I am starting my own family, though, I've been wondering what sort of holiday traditions Mitchell and I will have with our kids.  In an effort to be a little more home-maker-y, I decided that I would make breakfast for us this morning before going to church (Our typical Sunday mornings consist of Mitchell getting up around 6:00am to get ready and prepare for church leaderships meetings that begin at 7:30.  Since actual church doesn't start until 10:00, I am still fast asleep when he leaves.  Therefore, we never eat breakfast together on Sunday mornings, ergo I was trying to make today a special day.).  I had it all planned out: a spinach quiche with a side of bacon and freshly cut fruit.  A glass of coconut milk for him, a glass of orange juice for me.  Maybe some buttered toast, as well. It was going to be a beautiful moment, the start of a beautiful family tradition, sitting together at the table enjoying our Easter quiche breakfast.

That was the hope and dream.  Here was the reality:  I had to be at the church this morning to practice a song at 8:00.  Mitchell had a meeting at 8:30.  I finally got out of bed at 6:20, showered, dried my hair, got half dressed, then went downstairs to make the quiche.  The side of bacon was quickly abandoned when I put the quiche in the oven at 7:15 and knew I still had to finish getting ready.  When I had a wardrobe malfunction, the freshly cut fruit was replaced with a banana.  The timer on the oven went off, but the quiche needed another five minutes.  It was 7:45 and Mitchell still wasn't dressed.  At 7:50, I took the quiche out of the oven, eyed it suspiciously and very hesitantly cut myself a slice.  After the first bite, I knew that it had been a failure.  Shrugging my shoulders, I put the whole thing back in the oven to keep it warm, then called upstairs to Mitchell to let him know I was leaving and that if he wanted to try what I made, it was in the oven.  Otherwise, he should probably just grab a banana and a PowerBar on his way out the door.

So there you have it.  My first attempt at an Easter family tradition was a complete and total failure.  But here's the best part…

As I was sitting in Sacrament Meeting today, where I participated in a women's musical number and also sang in the choir, I realized that today is not about quiches.  It is not about baskets and bunnies.  It is not about trying to keep up with or out-do the Jones' and all their crafty Easter traditions.  Today is about celebrating the miracle of the Atonement and the Resurrection of our Savior, Jesus Christ.  Today is about being thankful for my many blessings - for my marriage to Mitchell, for Baby Jackson who will be here before we know it, and for the wonder of the gospel in my life.

I know that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God.  I know that He suffered and died for the sins and pains of all.  I know that He was resurrected and lives today.  I know that it is only through Him that we are able to return to live with our Heavenly Father and our families for eternity.

And I know that no amount of ruined Easter quiches will ever take this testimony away from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment