Pages

Sunday, August 19

SPS: Mark 4:36-41

"And when they had sent away the multitude, they took him even as he was in the ship. And there were also with him other little ships.
And there arose a great storm of wind, and the waves beat into the ship, so that it was now full.
And he was in the hinder part of the ship, asleep on a pillow: and they awake him, and say unto him, Master, carest thou not that we perish?
And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm.
And he said unto them, Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith?
And they feared exceedingly, and said one to another, What manner of man is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?"

I can't even begin to describe how perfectly this story from Christ's life reflects some of the hardest trials of my life.  With the rain pounding, the waves rolling, the ship rocking, I have been forced to my knees and cried out, "Master, do you not see that I am having a hard time?  Do you not see that my heart is breaking?  Do you not see that I have no strength left?  Carest thou not that I perish?"

In my weakest moments, I fall prey to the adversary's lie that no one cares that I am struggling, that I am alone in my trials.  Time and time again, though, that lie is replaced with the eternal truth that the Savior does care, that family and friends do care, that I am not alone.  In His own way and in His own time, the Master always comes to my aid and calms the storms, just as He did for His disciples.  The winds and the waves truly must obey Him, and His reassuring voice can be heard above the noise of the storm, if only we are willing to listen: "Peace, be still.  Be not afraid.  Have faith.  I am here, always."

As dear friends have shared with me some of their own personal trials and struggles in life, I know that we have all felt this way - like the storms are never-ending and our constant cries to heaven are falling on deaf ears.  I testify, though, that heaven hears.  I know that the Master is always listening, is always watching, is always mindful of how much we can bare on our own.  He is aware of the weather in our life, and He will always lead us out of danger and into the sun once again.



1 comment:

  1. Katie,
    This was the perfect blog post for me today. You have such a way with words, and you were able to convey a beautiful and true message - one I often forget. Thanks for sharing!
    Desiree

    ReplyDelete