Pages

Sunday, September 11

Let's hear it for New York...

A good friend posted this video on Facebook.  It brought tears to my eyes.



Not only do I love this song (an excellent sing-at-the-top-of-your-lungs-with-the-windows-rolled-down-going-80-down-the-freeway kind of song), but I think it captures the special feeling that being in New York City gives you - that anything can happen, that magic is just around the next block, that great things are coming your way.  It's been years since I've been back to the Big Apple (2007? Rachel?), but I still think it's one of my favorite places in the whole world.

This afternoon, I came home from a church meeting to find my mother watching one of many 9/11 television specials.  This one was on the History Channel: 102 Minutes That Changed America.  It chronicled the events of 9/11 in real time, taken entirely from the footage of the witnesses of that horrific morning.  What struck me most was that while masses of civilians were moving away from the burning towers, the firefighters and first responders were moving towards the burning towers.  As the time drew nearer for the collapse of the South Tower, they showed the men on the ground communicating with the firefighters inside the towers who were on the upper levels of the Towers, struggling to reach the trapped civilians.  For me to know that they didn't know that they would soon leave this world broke my heart all over again.

And when I think of the passengers on United Flight 93, it's hard for me to control my emotions.  True bravery.  True heroism.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again - I truly believe that those brave men and women who lost and gave their lives that day have a special place awarded them in heaven, as do all who give their life for the causes of liberty, justice and freedom.

Never forget.  Forever grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment