Pages

Wednesday, December 3

The book is better...

(cool fan-made poster, huh?)

Not that there was ever a question of the movie even being comparable to the book....but yeah, the book was better. I won't make a list of the things they got wrong (the story starts at the end of January, not in March), the things they changed (that is NOT the reason she went to Port Angeles), the things that were just completely ridiculous (umm, was there no supervision for the make-up people? I think they went a little crazy with the powder. And don't even get me started about the flying-through-the-trees thing...), and the things that were absolutely MASSACRED (ahem, THE MEADOW SCENE!!!!). I will say, however, that it was an enjoyable movie. The Edward and Bella that I created in my head are much better actors, but I still did enjoy seeing Rob Pattinson and Kristen Stewart bring them to life on the big screen.

It's probably not really fair, though, because for someone like me who discovered Twilight way back in 2005 (all the credit for that discovery goes to J&R, of course!) and has literally read the book about 20 times, I know down to the detail of what Bella should be wearing in each scene (the first time she meets the Cullens? Yeah, she's supposed to be wearing a dark blue blouse and a brown khaki skirt, not a green shirt and jeans). So it was expected that I would be disappointed at their re-telling of the story. And of course, the first time I saw it, I was comparing everything to the book, so whenever I get around to seeing it again, I will be able to watch it for the sake of the movie and not necessarily for the book.

But again, it was a fun movie. And I do have to give a shout-out to my dear friend Michelle, who suffered through the embarrassment of seeing the movie with me on opening day. Yes, I was tad bit excited. Yes, I was sort of squealing even before the movie started. Yes, I kind of clapped when they first introduced the Cullens in the lunchroom. Yes, I cheered for Stephenie Meyer's cameo. Yes, I'm sure she wanted to disown me by the end of it....and for that I love her!

And if nothing else, what has this whole experience taught us? Anyone, anyone? Bueller? Anyone?


READ, READ, READ!
BOOKS ARE BETTER!
(boys in books are better, too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment