Pages

Saturday, February 28

(Not Yet) Ready to Run

Cowtown 2012, 2013 and 2014

For the past three years, Dad and I have shared the experience of running the Cowtown.  Last year, I jogged the 5k (4 months pregnant), while Dad rocked the 10k.  At the time, I committed to running the 10k with him the following year, with all the good intentions of beginning my training right after baby was born.  

Well, you know what they say about good intentions.  With trying to be mom, wife and teacher, sadly being a runner has eluded me these past 7 months.  As the 10k date came closer and closer, I resigned myself to walking 6.2 miles.  I had made a commitment, plus, I didn't want to miss our yearly tradition.

As fate would have it, though, this week's winter storm meant the Cowtown races were all cancelled. I'm not gonna lie - I was more than a little happy that I got out of walking/jogging in the snow and sub-freezing temperatures.

So while I am not yet ready to run a 10k (or heck, even a 5k - any distance at this point would probably be the end of me!), I realize that I've been given a second chance to lace up my running shoes and hit the pavement in preparation for another race.

From experience, I know a few tips and tricks that should get me going:
  1. A good pair of shoes will work wonders. Asics were my previous brand of choice, but pregnancy made my already wide feet a little but wider.  I now really like the pair of Brooks I bought from the great people at Luke's Locker.
  2. The early bird gets the worm. This is my biggest challenge, but I know it is the best way to git 'er done.  Get out of bed, go on a run, and get on with the day.
  3. Hydrate or die. I've been indulging a little too much lately with soda and juice.  Water is and always be, though, my beverage of choice.
  4. Running slowly is still running. I too often have the mindset that it's not even worth getting off the couch because my current pace is not going to be earning me any PRs anytime soon.  But something is better than nothing.  Just do it.
If you have any helpful hints or words of wisdom to motivate a lapsed runner, I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment