Pages

Sunday, August 12

SPS: Hebrews 10:35-36

In my church, we have a program for children, ages 3-11, called Primary, where they learn about Jesus Christ and His gospel through lessons, activities and songs (if you have never been in a Sacrament Meeting program put on by the Primary children, you are missing out on one of life's greatest joys - they are just so darn adorable). I have very fond memories of my time in Primary, and I am grateful to leaders and teachers who helped nourish my testimony of the Savior at such a young age.

One of the songs the Primary children sing is called Scripture Power, and I love the simple, but important message: 

Because I want to be like the Savior, and I can
I'm reading His instructions, I'm following His plan
Because I want the power His word will give to me
I'm changing how I live, I'm changing what I'll be

Scripture power keeps me safe from sin
Scripture power is the power to win!
Scripture power, everyday I need
The power that I get each time I read.

I'll find the sword of truth in each scripture that I learn.
I'll take the shield of faith from these pages that I turn.
I'll wear each vital part of the armor of the Lord
And fight my daily battles, and win a great reward

Scripture power keeps me safe from sin
Scripture power is the power to win!
Scripture power, everyday I need
The power that I get each time I read.

In an effort to strengthen my testimony of Jesus Christ and His gospel, I've decided to start a new weekly blog post: Scripture Power Sundays.  My goal is to share a scripture each week, as well as my own personal thoughts about how the verse(s) applies to my/everyone's life.  I hope my words can be a benefit to others who read them, but I mainly want to do this for myself.  Countless prayers have been answered because I was humble enough to turn to the scriptures for help, and as I move forward with my second year of teaching, I know that I will need all the help I can get.

This week's scripture is Hebrews 10:35-36.

"Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.
For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise."

I've read and heard this scripture many times before, but today a young man who is preparing to serve a 2-year mission shared this during his talk to the congregation, and I was reminded of the great truth that Paul is teaching: As we go throughout our lives, striving to life righteously, encountering trials and hardships along the way, we cannot lose our confidence, or faith, in the Lord.  If we hold to that faith, if we are patient and continue to do what the Lord has asked us to do, He has promised to bless us with the greatest of all the gifts of God: eternal life.  

I imagine a person who has experienced disappointment and heartache; a person who is physically and spiritually exhausted from trying to do the right thing, wondering when the trial will end, when the blessing will come.  I imagine this person ready to give up on everything they have worked for, not because they don't believe, but because they are just so tired and battle-worn.  I then imagine the Savior lifting this person up off the floor and gently saying, "Cast not away therefore your confidence.  Don't give up.  Be patient.  I am with you always.  The blessing will come, I promise."

This person is me.  This person is you.  This person is anyone who has ever had a hard time.  And the promise is the same to everyone: Have faith, be patient and I will bless you.


2 comments:

  1. Great idea! Love the scripture and your imagery! Yow are amazing! Read D and C sec 43. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you like that scripture, you will love this talk by Elder Holland - http://www.lds.org/ensign/2000/03/cast-not-away-therefore-your-confidence?lang=eng&query=cast+away+therefore+thy+confidence,+%28name%3a%22Jeffrey+R.+Holland%22%29

    ReplyDelete