Pages

Sunday, March 6

Skipping the Morning Rush

Something amazing happened this morning.

I actually managed to make it to church on time (early, even!) without making a mad dash out of the house and driving like a mad woman to get there.

Like I said, amazing.

Allow me to explain.

I am not - I repeat, not - a morning person.  Never have been, doubt I ever will be.  People who knew me in high school can attest to this fact - I think half of my early-morning seminary class thought I hated them. In my defense, though, it was 6 in the AM and I almost always arrived having literally rolled out of bed ten minutes prior to the start of class.  The only time in my life that I've been able to actually get up right when the alarm went off was on my mission (a miracle from heaven, to be sure).

Anyways.  Mornings are not my friend.

But even when I do manage to wake up at a somewhat decent time, I am always - I repeat, always - running late.  It doesn't matter how much time I have to get ready, I always seem to lose track of time.  I throw things in my bag, rush out the door and drag race it to wherever I'm supposed to be.   And of course my mad dash out the door always puts me in an irritated and frustrated mood.  Not really a fun way to start the day.

For example, church doesn't start until 2:45 on Sundays, so you would think with all morning and afternoon to get ready, I could manage to make it there on time.  Nope, not a chance.  I'm constantly rushing.

But today was different.  I actually managed to wake up in the single digits (9, instead of say, 10 or 11... or 12).  I cleaned and organized my apartment a bit, made cookies for our potluck meal after church, leisurely got myself ready, then calmly left the house at 2:15.  The drive to church was pleasant, almost enjoyable.  I arrived at church early, even had the chance to catch-up with some friends.

I realized that I quite enjoyed the peaceful exit from the house.  No rushing, no anxiety.  I was quite impressed with myself.  Truly amazing.

Of course, the really amazing thing will be if I can continue this tranquil trend in the coming week...

1 comment:

  1. We will have to talk about why we lose track of time. Is it an underestimation of how much time it will take you to do something? I dunno . . . I'm in the same boat, and if I could just understand the problem, maybe I could fix it. :/

    ReplyDelete