Pages

Sunday, November 2

Someone, please, take the wheel...

I drove down to and up from Austin today for a short scenic visit. It is actually not a bad drive - a straight-shot on I-35 for three hours one-way. And I enjoy driving long distances by myself. Maybe not a cross-country solo trip, but short long distances I can handle. It's a fun opportunity to turn up the music REALLY loud and sing-along REALLY loud without worrying about the comfort of passengers.

Anyways. As I am drive to Austin this morning, I notice a woman behind me. She is driving an X-terra and I can see that she is hunched over the top of her steering wheel, her hands together in front of her. But what does she have in her hands? A phone. And what is she doing with said phone? Texting. That's right. This lady is going 80 mph down I-35 (which is full of semis), using her forearms to steer her SUV while she is playing on her phone. She even had a passenger in the front seat. And I could see that she would slowly start veering to the right until she had completely changed lanes - whether on purpose or because she was too preoccupied with her phone, I don't know.

At any rate, the absurdity of this woman driver was incredible! Let this be a lesson to us all: When you are going that fast down a busy freeway, PLEASE put the phone down and keep at least one hand on the wheel! For all of our sakes, take the wheel and save the texting for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment