Pages

Tuesday, June 5

Life is a Comedy...

Yesterday, in my Classic Civilization class, we were discussing Dante's "Divine Comedy" and what constitutes a comedy. Back in the day, a comedy didn't mean "ha, ha, funny, funny", although comedies were humorous. A comedy was a play that started sadly and ended happily (as opposed to a tragedy, which started happily and ended sadly). My professor asked the class, "How do Shakespearean comedies always end?" We all replied, "With a marriage."

Therefore, comedies end in marriage.

Someone made the comment: "Well, if comedies end in marriage, then BYU is a comedy!"

I beg to differ. My BYU experience, as well the BYU experience of many other people I know, has not ended in marriage.

My question, then, is as follows...

IF BYU, FOR ME, IS NOT A COMEDY, IS IT A TRAGEDY?!?!

Just kidding! Really, I'm okay without the comical ending. I prefer to make my own ending.....

No comments:

Post a Comment