Pages

Sunday, May 27

Divine Intervention

Heavenly Father knows each of His children so well.  Through His divine intervention, He places specific people in our lives at specific times, knowing that we will need each other to get through both the happy times and the hard times.

As I have looked back over the past (almost) three decades of my life, I recognize that this has been the case during my most difficult trials.  Houston, Cleveland, Dallas, Provo, Spain, Provo, Los Angeles, Dallas, Austin, Dallas: in all of the different places I have lived I have been blessed with friends and mentors to help me and teach me and guide me and love me.  Through their inspired words, phone calls, notes, emails, texts and visits I have felt the loving hand of Heavenly Father at work in my life.  They have been angels in my life, and I only hope that I have been the same support to these wonderful individuals as they have been to me.

Zach commented to me a few times that he felt our meeting was bad timing - that if only we had met during a different time in both of our lives, things wouldn't be so hard or so complicated.  After I thought about this for awhile, I told him that no, our meeting was not bad timing; it was the right timing.  For whatever reason, we were meant to meet at that specific time in both of our lives.  That we needed each other, to learn something from each other.  How else would our paths have crossed - he a Marine from Utah and me a teacher from Texas - if not for divine intervention from above (and some masterful matchmaking from his mother... Love you, Robin!)?  Even through the pain of losing him and missing him everyday, I know that we were part of each other's lives for a reason.  I treasure the time we spent together and the friendship and insight and knowledge I gained from being with him, even if it was only for a brief time.

This past weekend in Portland, I was reunited with one half of my best friend.  Seven years ago, two girls (twin sisters!) were put in my life who were the two halves of my one personality.  And ever since those good ol' days at The Cove, we've never looked back.  They have been a constant in my life, a rock on which to lean and rest, laugh and cry.  We might not talk for months at a time, but I know they are there, and they know that I am here, for anything.  We tend to get really awkward when expressing our emotions and feelings (or rather, Rachel does... bwahahaha!), but I love these two girls with my whole heart.  We have always attributed our friendship to divine intervention - Heavenly Father knew we would need each other during those days at BYU, and would continue to need each other throughout our lives.  As I spent time with Joanna today, finally able to tell her everything that has happened in the past year of my life, she did exactly what I needed her to do - just hold my hand and listen.  Seeing her this weekend after more than two years filled a hole in my heart that I didn't even know was empty.  And seeing Rachel in Utah in three weeks will fill another hole.

The three of us have a running joke about being "replaced" by a new friend or a new roommate ("So, I went out with this new friend last night..." "A new friend?!  Are you replacing me?!?!").  The one exception I will make is for worthy young men who promise to love and care for these amazing young women.  Well, Joanna is finally replacing us.  When I received the news that her engagement was official, I was overwhelmed by pure joy and happiness.  More joy and happiness than I have felt in a long time.  And after meeting our replacement this weekend, I can honestly say that I am happy to be replaced by such an outstanding guy who is perfect for my best friend in every way.

I am grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who knows me; who, through His divine intervention, blesses me with what I need and who I need.  And I am grateful for all of the angels, both here and in heaven, who have answered unspoken prayers, who have followed promptings and inspiration, who have been what I need and who I need.  I can only hope that my own efforts to be a good friend have touched your lives as much as your efforts have touched mine.

The K and the J of KJ&R.  See you soon, R!

No comments:

Post a Comment