As much as I love teaching, though, I think I might love music even more. Did you not know that? It's true. I love music. It's my life's blood. I sure hope my students are ready for daily doses of alternative rock, classical, pop, country, instrumental soundtracks, folk rock and the occasional musical. Maybe some dance parties, too.
Listen and love.
- Turn to Stone, Ingrid Michaelson - beautiful song
- Slumber, Needtobreathe - love, love, love
- Put It In a Love Song, Alicia Keys fest. Beyonce
- Get Around This, SafetySuit - love this band, new album out in October
- Up All Night, Blink-182 - can't believe these guys are still making (awesome) music
- Poison & Wine, The Civil Wars
- Skyscraper, Demi Lovato - kind of ashamed that I like this song
- Fade Into Me, David Cook
- I Got You, Leona Lewis
- Blow, Ke$ha - more shame
- If It Means a Lot to You, A Day to Remember
- Belong, Cary Brothers
- The Best Thing I Never Had, Beyonce
- If Not Now, When?, Incubus - I will always love this band, soundtrack of my high school years
- The Joyride, There For Tomorrow
- Every Teardrop is a Waterfall, Coldplay
- With Every Heartbeat (Acoustic Version), Robyn - love her voice and emotion
- Coming Home, Diddy feat. Dirty Money & Skylar Grey
- Rolling In the Deep (Live), Linkin Park - awesome cover of Adele's song
- Won't Back Down, Eminem feat. Pink - this song has one too many bleeps for my taste, so I usually only listen until the first chorus
Funny Sidebar: I was at a training earlier this week, and during a break the presenter put on music. Whitney Houston's I Wanna Dance With Somebody came on, and of course I started rockin' out. He comes over to me and asks:
"How old are you?"
"And you know this song?"
"Of course! Half of our family videos are of my two older sisters and I, decked out in leotards and leggings, dancing to Whitney in the living room. This is the sound of my childhood."
"Whoa. I'm impressed."
Next song that came on: Fine Young Cannibals' She Drives Me Crazy. The one after that? We Built This City by Starship. We Built This City is our family's official theme song. I had to restrain myself from jumping up and giving the room full of teachers an impromptu lip-sync performance. Again, the presenter was extremely impressed with my familiarity of 80's classics. He might have called them "older songs." I simply call them the soundtrack of my life.