Pages

Monday, December 3

I never thought I would say this...

...but I want to read The Iliad.

I know, I know, I know. When I had to study it for one of my university classes, I did so kicking and screaming the whole way. But last night the movie Troy was on TV (edited for content, of course) and I had always wanted to see it (What can I say? I'm a sucker for hot guys in short skirts with ripped arms and long hair!).

I have to admit, though, that after watching it, I was not all that impressed. As handsome as he is, Brad Pitt was not a very convincing Achilles. I did think Eric Bana and Orlando Bloom played their parts well as Hector and Paris, respectively. The choreographed one-on-one fights were fun to watch, but when all was said and done (or rather, when everyone had died and the city of Troy was burning), I didn't think it was all that special of a movie. The remedy to my disappointment? Three words: Russell Crowe. Gladiator. Talk about convincing.....

Anyways! The shocking result from having finally watched this movie was the sudden urge to pick up "The Essential Homer" and re-read The Iliad and The Odyssey.....and maybe even "The Essential Vergil" to re-read The Aeneid.

Wow. Again, I never thought in a million years that I would ever have the inclination to re-read those famous works of literature that brought me so much misery and frustration in college.

Never say never, I guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment